Opening – Board of Directors
The Board of Directors determines the mission, strategic direction, and programming for Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness (“Friends”). A Director ensures and nurtures adequate human and financial resources and actively monitors and evaluates the Executive Director’s performance and the Friends’ financial results. A Director approves and systematically implements policies to ensure achievement of the mission of the Friends.
- Reports to the Board Chair
- Works closely with the Executive Director and other staff to ensure the achievement of the mission
- Works closely with and gets to know other Board and committee members and builds collegial working relationships that contribute to consensus
- Serves as a spokesperson outside the organization and delivers consistent, compelling messages on mission, programs, and finances, and encourages civic participation
- Knows and commits to the Friends’ mission, vision, and values
- Provides leadership continuity by ensuring Board succession, including identifying, recruiting, and orienting new members
- Is knowledgeable about Friends’ policies, programs, and operations, and oversees their implementation and evaluation
- Is accessible and responsive to other Directors and staff
- Actively seeks out financial and other resources for the organization
- Engages in strategic planning
- Approves written policies and procedures governing the work and actions of the Friends’ employees and volunteers
- Hires, sets the compensation for, and annually evaluates the performance of the Executive Director
- Reviews the overall compensation structure for staff and establishes policies on employee benefits, vacation, and sick leave
- Approve the annual operating budget; at least four times per year assesses the organization’s financial performance
- Assists in developing fundraising plans and actively participates in fundraising initiatives each year
- Makes an annual gift to the Friends as circumstances allow. There is no minimum contribution amount, but the Friends should be in a Director’s top three charities for annual giving.
- Ensure that an internal review of the Friends’ compliance with legal, regulatory, and financial reporting requirements is conducted annually
Board Meetings and Committees Responsibilities
- Regularly prepares for, attends, and participates in Board meetings
- Participates actively in at least one Board committee
Committee Chair Description
- The Committee Chair presides or assigns someone to preside at all meeting of the respective committee. The Committee Chair has general supervision, direction, and active management of the committee’s affairs, working in partnership with staff and volunteers. The Committee Chair reports to the Board Chair.